How to stop being proud
Christ, Epistle to the Colossians, Epistle to the Romans, First Epistle to the Corinthians, God, God the Father, Holy Spirit, Jesus,
When you acknowledge that you are proud, that’s when the humbling process begins.
The second step is to be humble.
Pride only leaves when humbleness moves in, the same way that darkness only disperses when light is present. However, humbleness is not what most people think it is—being poor, living a simple life, or being a good person to those around you. Humbleness happens inside of you, just like pride does.
It’s easy to be “humble” on the outside because it is simple to pretend!
True humbleness comes from within and happens deep inside of a person, which is evident on the outside through admirable behaviour.
The greatest example of humbleness was the Lord Jesus…
- He was not prejudiced. He walked with everyone, He didn’t think He was better or made Himself superior to anyone (even if He was), although He suffered from the prejudice of others.
- He was patient and understanding with people. He understood why they did what they did and didn’t judge them. On the contrary, they felt comfortable with Him.
- He did not impose His authority as the Son of God on anyone and yet, people recognised the life He had.
- He taught. Those who teach are humble. Many people do not teach, yet they want people to learn, know and understand.
- He kept His spiritual dependence. He prayed, not only before lunch or when things were bad around Him, but He prayed every day. He depended on God.
- The Lord Jesus kept friendships. He did not isolate Himself from people for not having the same understanding that He had or because He found Himself much smarter than them.
- He made sure to teach His disciples to do the same and more than what He did!
- Being God, He came to earth as a man and was submissive to a woman, whom He called mother, to a body, and to living as a carpenter, without any perks. He became an ordinary man.
These are the reasons why God honoured Him. Notice that the above list (which could be much longer) shows the humble spirit of the Lord Jesus. It’s not something, which is forced but who you are.
“The fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom, and before honour is humility.” (Proverbs 15:33)
No one is honoured by God without first being humble; this is the main way in which He honours. As well as not being honoured, the proud are rejected by God.
“…Be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” (1 Peter 5:5)
Did you like this? Share it: