18 ways to sleep cool during the summer heat
before going to bed, the past few days,
With London experiencing sweltering temperatures in the past few days, many, if not all, of us have been trying to adjust to the summer heat. But as great as it is to have this warm weather, it can take away the joy and comfort of sleeping. But don’t sweat it because there are some tips that can help you to stay cool when sleeping during this heatwave:
- Fill an empty perfume bottle with water and spray it on your face, the back of your neck and your knees when you are feeling hot.
- Avoid eating too much protein as this can increase the heat in your body.
- Exercise in the morning instead of the afternoon so that your body doesn’t get too hot.
- Buy an Aloe Vera-based after-sun cream and store it in your fridge. Use this cream to moisturise your skin before going to bed.
- Switch off all sockets and electrical devices as these are sources of heat.
- Eat spicy food at least three hours before bed – it will make you sweat, which cools the body down.
- Fill a hot water bottle with ice and place it on your body’s ‘cooling points’ – your knees, ankles, wrists, neck, and elbows. Another option would be to fill a hot water bottle with cool water and freeze it for use later.
- Wear cotton pyjamas and put a thin pure cotton sheet on your bed. Good-quality cotton is the ideal material to sleep on as it is the most breathable.
- Shower at a lukewarm temperature and avoid having a completely cold shower because this will cause a sudden change in your body’s temperature by preserving heat.
- Sleep in cool and damp clothes.
- Put a wet flannel in the fridge for at least an hour before going to bed. Then place the flannel on your head as you drift off to sleep.
- To stay hydrated during the night, drink half a cup of cold water before going to bed.
- If you can, sleep downstairs. The temperature will be cooler as the sun rises.
- Fill a roasting pan with ice and place in front of a fan to cool the air.
- Keep your feet cool by either keeping them on your bed covers or resting them on an ice pack.
- Keep the curtains and windows closed in order to keep the house cooler.
- Rinse your feet and wrists with cold water before going to bed.
- If you wake up during the night, rub a menthol stick on your forehead to cool down.
With the summer weather hotter than usual, it is important to take the necessary precaution to ensure that you stay hydrated and feeling well.
Source of information*http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/uk-weather-latest-temperature-today-heatwave-sleeping-tips-a7799196.html
Did you like this? Share it: